The ultimate problem for most Americans is sitting and inactivity both at work and at home. This chart belows shows how much inactivity Americans encounter by state:
How does this affect your company?
According to an Article by Huffington Post: ”A new Gallup estimates that unhealthy workers cost businesses $153 billion a year in lost productivity. Nearly 110,000 full-time employees were surveyed, self-reporting their height, weight and chronic medical conditions.” This means that companies have to encourage a healthy work environment and encourage their employees to be a little more active. However, encouragement can only do so much, and what about those employees who are already enduring health problems?
On site acupuncture clinics. By having Acupuncture On-Site at your office you will see immediate results. Health related activities at work are convenient for an increasingly busy society. Pressure for employers to provide primary health care at work has increased...The most common alternative programs at the work site are massage, acupuncture, and informal nutritional interventions. The most common benefits of Acupuncture include:
- Better Sleep
- Increased Energy
- Mental Clarity
- Better Digestion
- Stress Reduction
- Telus (Canadian Company)
Increase in Productivity
Some employees will come to work even if they’re not feeling well. They still won’t be as productive as they could – there’s even a name for this. ”Presenteeism”. A study from University of Tennessee found that among migraine sufferers, the productive work hours lost due to “presenteeism” were actually greater than the hours lost due to absenteeism.
Acupuncture can help your employees feel their best so they can do their best. The same conditions that make people miss work, also affect their performance at work. Acupuncture can reduce visits to the doctor, hospitals and emergency rooms. Depending on your insurer, this can lead to reduced insurance costs.
- Migraine sufferers have been shown to visit the emergency room 60% more than non-migraine sufferers (acupuncture has phenomenal results with migraines).
- According to the National Institute of Health,lower back pain costs the economy $50 billion dollars yearly. Unless it’s a disc problem, acupuncture is very effective with back pain.
Healthy Employees Save Money
- 90% of all medical expenditures are spent in treating preventable diseases.
- Employee absenteeism from lifestyle-related illness is costing companies billions of dollars annually.
- Health care expenditures are nearly 50% greater for workers who report high levels of stress. (Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine)
- According to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, workers who must take time off work because of stress, anxiety, or a related disorder will be off the job for about 20 days. (Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- A U.S. Department of Health and Human Services report in 2002 revealed that at worksites with health and wellness programs, employers have:
· Reduced short-term sick leave by 6 to 32 percent
· Increased productivity by 2 to 52 percent
Repetitive Strain Injuries, such as carpal tunnel syndrome, are a very common reason for Worker’s Compensation claims. These are due to inflammation from overuse. Acupuncture has great effects on inflammation, and can even target inflammation in specific locations in the body.
Acupuncture can’t prevent injuries, but it can greatly speed up recovery from injuries and surgery. In particular, some injuries don’t heal well or completely. By helping the healing process, acupuncture can prevent sub-optimal healing and continued pain – which is a very common reason for worker’s compensation claims.
Increased Retention Rate
In an article about Perks in the workplace by Incentivemag.com, Leigh Gallagher the assistant managing editor of Fortune who oversees the annual list, “The 100 Best Companies to Work for in America”, says that says, “power perks can produce happier employees who work harder, are more engaged, have stronger feelings of attachment to the company and are less likely to leave. They pay dividends in so many ways."